Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Layer Cake Bakery {Irvine}


I'm always on the prowl for a good French macaron. I've successfully made them myself probably three out of ten times, so buying them is definitely a better option for me haha! I'd love to perfect my technique sometime in the future but realistically, if I want a French macaron, I'm best off buying them.


I decided to visit Layer Cake Bakery in Irvine because I'd heard from multiple people about how great their macarons are. I was happy to finally hear that I could get a macaron in Orange County rather than having to travel miles to Los Angeles for my favorite 'Lette macarons. 

Above is a canelé, which I've been trying to try for years. I wanted to make them myself a while ago after coming across them online - they sounded delicious, chewy and custardy... how could I not want to eat them? I couldn't make them because I didn't have the proper pans, so I pushed them out of my radar but the instant I saw them in this bakery, I was so happy!

The canelé was awesome - exactly as I imagined. So crispy and crunchy on the outside and fabulously chewy on the inside.



Now on to the main event: the macarons! These were pretty darn good and I've come across many macarons in my day. They were the perfect crispy-chewy texture and the fillings were smooth and sweet. Being that I'm picky, the fillings though weren't my favorite because I'm not the biggest fan of buttercream fillings in French macarons. I much prefer ganache but don't get me wrong, these were still amazing!



6 comments:

  1. I've never had a Canelé before but they've been on my "to eat" list for a while. My favorite macarons are the earl grey ones from Bottega Louie in Downtown LA. I've heard some people say they're just OK but it's the best one I've had so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! So pretty! I must admit, macarons aren't really my favourite thing... they're so confused in the texture department. But I do love a good 'ol pain au chocolate. *Swoon*

    ReplyDelete
  3. michelle! i just stumbled upon your blog and it is beautiful. you do an amazing job with the photography. do you have any 'must try' places in san diego? i am making my first trip to california in a couple of months and would love to know your favorites. i've already bookmarked the places to try while in disneyland!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ taylor: i actually haven't made many trips to san diego, so i don't personally know of any places - but my friends always tell me about: hash house, extraordinary desserts, and phil's bbq! hope you have fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss your blog entries and entrees! I'm actually from Irvine and been here for a very long time but I realized as my friend is coming to visit, I'm blanking on where to go and what to eat. Other than your devine choices on Orange County's eating out, do you have any non eating things we should do? All that comes to mind is the Great Park Balloon... and Spectrum. Sorry for the long comment. Can't wait for updates (but I will, no pressure!) Hope everything is well. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ anonymous: thanks! i know i've been lacking in posts lately, i just haven't been inspired much to bake/ cook/ or write :/ i'm hoping this feeling with pass soon.

    regarding orange county, i just love visiting the beach - even on cold days! just a stroll on the cold sand or looking at tide pools is one of my favorite things to do (corona del mar and laguna beach are awesome). i also love hiking so there are many places to do that here as well. for shopping, of course a visit to south coast plaza is necessary - it has almost everything!

    ReplyDelete