Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Soft Pretzel Slabs?

I am a big, big, BIG lover of soft pretzels. I love carbs, I don't ever think I could live my life without pasta, rice, or bread. And if I had too, I'd probably live my life drugged up on uppers or commit suicide. It's really THAT big of a deal to me! I especially love bread that's chewy in texture, that's why Soft Pretzels are my bread soul mate. They're salty, chewy, soft and utterly delicious! 

I've never attempted to make any sort of risen bread before, but I thought it best that pretzels be my first try! I admit, even at this first try, I was quite lazy. I mean I didn't even have the patience to roll them out and twist them, how pathetic can I be?!?? But it didn't matter because these were delicious none the less! Instead of rolling them I just sliced off "slabs" and baked them. Eating them with mustard is a must!!

Soft Pretzels

Yields: 8 pretzels

Original recipe from Sugarlaws, which can be found here


Printable Recipe


1 tsp. active dry yeast

pinch of sugar

1/3 cup warm water

1 1/4 cup flour

2 tbsn. sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tbsn. canola oil

3 tbsn. baking soda

1 cup hot water

sea salt/ pretzel salt


Dissolve yeast into 1/3 cup warm water with a pinch of sugar, let stand for 10 minutes until mixture is creamy colored and bubbly. Mix the yeast mixture with the flour, salt, sugar and canola oil, knead until combined. Let dough rise in a greased bowl until doubled in size, about 45 - 60 minutes. Preheat oven to 435 F, when dough has risen, pinch off a handful of the dough and roll out into a long strand, about 24 inches. Repeat this with the rest of the dough. Once all have been rolled out, take the first strand and stretch it out again (the gluten should have relaxed and you should be able to stretch it out longer). Twist into a pretzel shape (using video below) and place them onto a greased baking sheet. 


Dissolve the baking soda into the 1 cup of hot water, stir until dissolved. Quickly dip each pretzel into the mixture and place back onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt/ pretzel salt and bake for about 6 - 8 minutes until golden brown. Serve with grainy mustard and enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. Ohh, these look really good! Haha, and I'm with ya on the not-twisting thing. Sometimes rustic, lazy baking is the most delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete